[Dovecot] POP3 Dovecot Auth CPU usage 75%+

Root Kev root.kev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 23:46:46 EEST 2012

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me, I have been testing out Dovecot to switch from
popa3d which I use at the moment.  When I get several users connecting and
disconnection multiple times, the Dovecot process with command Auth uses
50-90% of the CPU for the period which they are connecting.  I am wondering
if there is something that I may have misconfigured, or if there is
something that I can change so that this spike doesn't occur.

If anyone could shed some light on the issue, I would appreciate it,

Kevin

/var/mail# dovecot -n
# 2.1.4: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-33-generic-pae i686 Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS ext4
auth_cache_size = 10 M
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
instance_name = Mail Popper 1
listen = 172.20.20.222
login_greeting = Mail Popper 1 Ready
mail_location = mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=MEMORY
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =