[Dovecot] returning a namespace location from userdb?

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 18 11:53:34 EEST 2012

hey all, is it possible to return the location of namespace from the userdb lookup? The code is a bit unclear about it. There seems to be a part of the docs saying:

If you want to override settings inside sections, you can separate the section name and key with '/'. For example:

namespace default {
  inbox = yes
}
The inbox setting can be overridden by returning namespace/default/inbox=no extra field
I realize you can set 'location=' in the namespace, but we have mailbox locations that cant be expressed by the normal variable substitution vars in dovecot (dont ask). So we have a userdb that returns the correct mail location. This works fine. But im currently trying to implement a second namespace, and Im having trouble returning a mailbox location for this specific namespace from our userdb. Is this possible? If so, what would the userdb have to return exactly?

namespace spam {
  type = private
  separator = /
  inbox = no