[Dovecot] restoring mails and directories

oni-neko at gmx.net oni-neko at gmx.net
Mon Apr 30 11:59:32 EEST 2012

Good day!

is there an easy way to restore e.g. deleted mails and/or mail directories?
let me specify: I'm running dovecot 1.2.9 on a current ubuntu lts. It is set to Maildir and I backup the folder with the users maildata nightly via rsync.

now, when someone deletes a mail that they still need, and I copy it back from the backup, it will not be visible to mail clients. When I change the mailfile by a letter or so, it shows. that's easy enough, if not exactly awesome ;-)

But, if said person deletes a whole folder of mails, this way to make restored mails show up becomes rather unreasonable.

surely there is a better way to do this? I'd be glad for any and all hints! =)

best regards
silvana