[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Sergey S. Kovalev xray at randoman.ru
Sat Aug 11 00:55:49 EEST 2012

10.08.2012 16:57, Reindl Harald пишет:
> surely IT IS an argument
>
> on a non-iPhone you can chosse what is important
> your agrumentation is even one argument more against iPhone
If we now talking about android vs iPhone now... Imagine Android default
email client. It have no many features, that iPhone's default have
(Note: i do not use iPhone, i'm not fan of Apple).
Then return to thing I wanna tell in previous letter - the situation,
when you really NEED to follow ALL of hundred of mail dirs.
>>> so it is not "it's IMAP limitation"
>> As I told - IMAP limitation is to control only one folder
> as proven by other devices there is no limitation
Can't you distinguish the protocol itself with limitation to follow only
one dir and the realization with workaround to create many connections
to follow all required dirs?
Just imagine that ActiveSync have no that limitation - it use only one
connection for any count of mail dirs and therefore it's scalability is
very good!
>>> how does help me "save battery" if i have a folder-structure
>>> maintained by sieve if i do not get my new mails?
>> If you open 10 connections to IMAP server and will IDLE on them - your phone
>> will wake up to reply for ping in every of that 10 connections.
>> Imagine if there will 100 folders?
>> Therefore IMAP really have limitation to use it on mobile devices
> again: how does it help me if I NEED to check them?
Sure! If you NEED to check them - I guess you can find some app in Apple
Store.
> and no, IMAP has no limitations proven by Android-client
> my Samsung Galaxy S3 has around 25 push folders
Yes, it has. The workaround is something else, that limitation itself.
> no problem with K9 mail to have them in my "common inbox"
> including my own sent messages while on the desktop i
> use the folder structure and my battery has a average
> lifetime of 1.5 days
Android's power consumption is a result of very many factors. Spherical
1.5 days is something that have no any sense.