[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 14 11:18:18 EEST 2012

On 14.8.2012, at 11.04, Ed W wrote:

> - Then there is tcp keepalive.  Does Dovecot enable these? (Sorry, I should look in the code...).

Yes.

>  However, applications which enable it (eg optional in SSH) will trigger a default (I think) 75 second network packet

It's something like 2 hours by default in Linux.

> As Timo says, Dovecot tries to be clever and coalesce packets from checking multiple folders, but from memory there are limitations on this if you have multiple *accounts*?  I think the hash is per email address and per IP ?

Yes, doesn't help with multiple accounts, because the hashed username is different (no IP). I guess this could be changed to be per IP just as well. I think I wondered about which one to use previously but didn't see any point in choosing IP over username, but yes, multiple accounts could be a reason, especially after the whole world is using only Dovecot. :)

> But of course if your emails turn up every few seconds, then you will be triggering wakeups every few seconds also.

Maybe Dovecot could make this somehow smarter some day.. Or create a plugin that allows that.