[Dovecot] v2.2 status update: IMAP NOTIFY extension and more

Thu Aug 16 15:38:00 EEST 2012

On 2012-08-16 7:58 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> On 16/08/2012 12:24, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Actually, maybe (and maybe not, I honestly haven't thought this
>> through at all, and this might be a really dumb idea), instead of
>> specific support for this one feature, I wonder if it would make more
>> sense to actually build in support for a policy server (ie,
>> amavisd-new) like postfix has...

> I'm really missing the key point here?
>
> The proposal was (I think?): Have Dovecot accept emails and feed them to
> the MTA (eg Postfix)
>
> This means you have access to all the MTA features (hence why I was
> pointing out these features exist today). Further, by centralising this
> function you don't need to duplicate the functionality depending on
> whether an email was sent via Dovecot or SMTP.
>
> So I don't see that policy servers are necessary in Dovecot for this
> particular requirement - I think most ideas we can come up with would
> benefit from delegating policy to the MTA so that it's centralised?

But doing it in dovecot would mean that it wouldn't matter what MTA you
were using, or even what OS/platform said MTAs were running on, you
would handle all said policies for your entire (dovecot-director)
infrastructure in one place (dovecot)...

Also, this would only be for *outbound* policies, so would provide a
degree of separation with your *inbound* policies... which could be a
good or bad thing I guess depending on your needs and requirements.

Like I said, I haven't thought it completely through and it may indeed
be a bad idea...

--

Best regards,

Charles