[Dovecot] Search extensions

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Tue Aug 21 20:31:46 EEST 2012

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> The client can verify the results with the fetch. The "x-anyheader"
> can already be implemented without changes to full text search
> plugin, because all backends store message/MIME headers and body
> text separately.
>
> So, questions for the list, especially client developers:
>
> 1) What's a better name for x-anyheader? :)

Maybe X-ALLHEADERS?  X-ANYHEADER seems ok also.  Either one, if
properly documented, would be easy enough to implement (I know that I
personally never implement any IMAP command without staring at the
RFCs so if you wanted to name it X-FUZZYWUZZY, that would also be fine).

> I think one other thing missing has been "show me messages that have
> attachments". I've thought about maybe creating a $hasattachments
> keyword for that, which the server could automatically set for new
> mails that it thinks has attachments (and clients can set/unset the
> keyword if wanted).

I think you are entering a *very* slippery slope when it comes to this
feature.  Because I believe that determination of what is an
"attachment" is necessarily a client (read: UI) question, not a server
question.  See, e.g.:

http://markmail.org/message/q4mjgbcxks5j4ue6

michael