[Dovecot] Size of Mailbox affecting the sending of mail?

Jahnke-Zumbusch, Dirk dirk.jahnke-zumbusch at desy.de
Fri Aug 24 14:35:32 EEST 2012

Hi all,

>>> Having set up my mail server (Dovecot/Postfix), users are experiencing
>>> long delays (a couple of minutes) when sending mail from mail client
>>> such as Thunderbird - this increases with attachments. Having had a

While in the first place sending e-mail has to do with SMTP and not IMAP,
most mail client programs are configured to save a copy of an e-mail using
FCC (file carbon copy) by putting this copy via IMAP into some "Sent"
folder. And here you are: this may explain the long delays, esp. if on
some asymmetric connection like DSL with low upstream bandwith.

Just my 2c

Cheers and have a nice weekend

--
Dirk Jahnke-Zumbusch              Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY