[Dovecot] quota: ignore deleted messages (?)

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Mon Aug 27 09:35:52 EEST 2012

El 25/08/12 09:23, Timo Sirainen escribió:
> On 25.8.2012, at 1.49, Sven Hartge wrote:
>
>>> How about just disabling the quota enforcing and doing a nightly run
>>> of some type of enforcing (sending notification email and/or disabling
>>> new mail delivery until user has more quota again)?
>>
>> As a last resort, yes. If possible, I'd like to keep the feedback about
>> mailbox size as direct as possible.
>>
>> Disabling an account only once per night might be acceptable, but the
>> reenabling of the account, once a user has freed some space, has to be
>> instant or I would get constant complains from the users (the ones with
>> the biggest mailboxes being the professors, which can be quite the pain
>> to work with, if they believe they don't get what they think they are
>> entitled to get).
>
> You can use quota warning scripts to send warnings and enable account instantly when it goes under 100%.

	But, if you still use quota, you are still counting deleted messages in
the quota. Aren't you?

	Is not easier just making users conscious of deleted messages? Many
clients that hide deleted messages, show them in a trash folder
(although they don't use move to trash) so it's easy for user to expunge
deleted messages. And you could also run a cron to expunge old deleted
messages from user mailboxes (for example, messages deleted more than 15
days ago)

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática