[Dovecot] redirect actions exceeds policy limit

Mike Greene mikeg at rockisland.com
Mon Aug 6 21:34:22 EEST 2012

Hello,  We have a vacation/mail forwarder plugin in squirrel mail that allows customers to forward email.  It has come to my attention that there is a limit (appears to be 5) on the number of addresses that can be specified.  I'm now trying to track down where this policy limit is set.

This is the error we see in the customers .dovecot.sieve.log file:

main_script: line 26: error: number of redirect actions exceeds policy limit.
sieve: info: started log at Jul 25 07:02:54.

I checked the following for possible settings:

/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
/usr/local/etc/sieve/dovecot.sieve
/usr/local/etc/sieve/global.sieve

I didn't see anything specific to limiting the number of redirects.  I'm wondering where else I can look to find where this limit is coming from and adjust it upwards.

We are using the following dovecot / pigeonhole versions.

dovecot-2.0.7
dovecot-pigeonhole-0.2.1

athena# dovecot -n
# 2.0.7: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE amd64
auth_default_realm = rockisland.com
auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
auth_username_format = %Lu
disable_plaintext_auth = no
dotlock_use_excl = yes
first_valid_gid = 1000
first_valid_uid = 1000
listen = *
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  quota = maildir
  quota_rule = *:storage=2G
  quota_warning = storage=90%% /usr/local/sbin/quota-warning.sh 90
  quota_warning2 = storage=80%% /usr/local/sbin/quota-warning.sh 80
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/
  sieve_global_dir = /usr/local/etc/sieve/
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-client {
    mode = 0660
  }
  unix_listener auth-master {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  user = root
}
service imap-login {
  service_count = 0
}
service pop3-login {
  service_count = 0
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/ssl/star.rockisland.com.crt.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/etc/ssl/star.rockisland.com.key.pem
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = quota
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
protocol lda {
  auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
  info_log_path =
  lda_mailbox_autocreate = no
  lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes
  log_path =