[Dovecot] maildir to sdbox offline conversion

_ET_ elias.tamas at vagyok.eu
Thu Aug 9 03:34:13 EEST 2012

Hi all. I've just installed dovecot v2.1 in a multihomed, multiinstance
setup, It took me two days to convert the old v1.1 configs, now everything
works like charm! But. :)

I have several maildir mailboxes, I decided to use the sdbox storage type
instead.

I ran into difficoulties using the dsync util.

My virtual users are in an OpenLDAP DB on a differnet machine, and I do not
have access to the database (I can authenticate the users from ldap, but
cannot change or see anything)

So it's not easy to do an "online" conversion and follow the instructions at
dsync's wiki. Do you know a way how to simply tell dsync or a similar util
the following

dsync convert maildir:/data/vmail/domain/user
sdbox:/newdata/vmail/domain/user

without touching the ldap database, only the files on the disk. I can run
this command as root on this mail server, if it is needed, I can run the
command for each and every maildir. That's not a problem.

any ideas, how this wouléd be the simpliest?