[Dovecot] some mdbox mails get lost each day

Christian Rößner c at roessner-network-solutions.com
Thu Aug 9 11:14:13 EEST 2012

Hi,

I have a strange problem here. I had installed Dovecot-2.1.6 on a customers setup. They have 102 mail accounts on the server. The started using this dovecot version on the 20th June. One mailbox suddenly started expunging mails. Not from the current day, but one week back in the past. First I thought about an Outlook issue. Some filter or archieving thing, but we did a test and on one day, the curstomer did not start Outlook first; instead he checked his mails with the SOGo-webinterface. We saw that mails got deleted again.

I checked for sieve filters. None.

I upgraded dovecot to 2.1.7, as I have not done any newer packages yet for Ubuntu (using my own PPA). Same problem one day later.

I tested with telnet locally. Same result as in the client. I also did doveadm dump -t log and index and saw that there had been expunged mails.

Yesterday I asked the customer to backup all his mails in Outlook. After that I renamed the whole mdbox folder of this account on the server and sent one test mail to recreate the mailbox. After that her restored his mail in Outlook. This morning her contacted me and said that all mails are ok right now and no mails have been erased anymore.

Coud this been a corrupted index?

I also chekced the storage/-folder and see that all mails are still on disk. Now he asked me if there is any way to get all the lost messaged back? It would be okay for him, if all mails since June are sent again, as he can clean his mailbox afterwards. So does somebody have an idea on how to solve this? Maybe scripting something in python and using local sendmail command?

Or is there some doveadm voodoo to repair the index or unexpunge all mails?

Thanks in advance

-Christian Rößner

---
Rößner-Network-Solutions