[Dovecot] No status for INBOX/* in mbox NS (2.1.6)

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dovecot at rub.de
Fri Aug 17 12:46:01 EEST 2012

Maybe it's fixed, but the last "interesting" text in the Changelog was
before 2.1.6.

Most of our users still have mboxes in the classical layout, so you
can't have subfolders and messages in the same folder, *except for the
INBOX*, as it is physically separate.

Someone complained that he saw subfolders in roundcube he couldn't
delete, because they didn't show up in the subscription view.

Before hitting on roundcube, I mperformed a few checks and got the
following:

root at cx-y-z qmail # doveadm mailbox status -u usera messages 'INBOX/*'
root at cx-y-z qmail # doveadm mailbox status -u usera messages 'INBOX/test1'
INBOX/test1 messages=0

This is mysterious.

It doesn't happen with my account, that is in a mdbox:
root at cx-y-z qmail # doveadm mailbox status -u kriegjcb messages 'INBOX/*'
INBOX/test1 messages=1

Our setup is a bit complicated, but most of it shouldn't be relevant to
the problem.

# 2.1.6: /usr/local/dovecot/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.9-103.ELsmp i686 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 9)
auth_first_valid_uid = 100
auth_master_user_separator = *
dict {
  quota = mysql:/usr/local/dovecot/etc/dovecot-dict-mysql.conf
}
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 100
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
log_path = /dev/stderr
log_timestamp =
mail_access_groups = nofiles
mail_location = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=~/Mailbox:INDEX=~/Index
mail_plugins = " quota zlib mail_log notify virtual stats"
mdbox_rotate_size = 5 M
namespace {
  hidden = no
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
  separator = /
  type = private
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  inbox = no
  list = children
  location = maildir:~/Maildir
  prefix = "#MD/"
  separator = /
  type = private
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location = virtual:~/Maildir/Virtual
  prefix = Virtual/
  separator = /
  type = private
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location = virtual:/usr/local/dovecot/etc/virtuell:INDEX=~/Virtuell
  prefix = Virtuell/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = private
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/dovecot/etc/passwd.dovcot.master
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  mail_log_events = undelete mailbox_delete mailbox_rename mailbox_create
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy::quota
  quota2 = fs:Disk quota
  stats_refresh = 30 secs
  stats_track_cmds = yes
}
protocols = pop3 imap
service auth {
  client_limit = 4300
  user = root
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    group = nofiles
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 542
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    address = 134.147.64.38
    port = 143
  }
  service_count = 0
}
service imap {
  drop_priv_before_exec = yes
  process_limit = 2048
  vsz_limit = 1 G
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    address = 134.147.64.38
    port = 110
  }
  service_count = 0
}
service pop3 {
  drop_priv_before_exec = yes
  process_limit = 2048
  vsz_limit = 512 M
}
service stats {
  fifo_listener stats-mail {
    mode = 0666
    user = dovenull
  }
}
ssl = no
stats_command_min_time = 5 mins
stats_domain_min_time = 1 hours
stats_ip_min_time = 1 hours
stats_memory_limit = 64 M
userdb {
  args = /usr/local/dovecot/etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  driver = sql
}
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol imap {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 50
  mail_plugins = " quota zlib mail_log notify virtual stats imap_quota imap_zlib imap_stats"
}

Thanks
Jost Krieger
--
| Helft Spam ausrotten!                HTML in Mail ist unhöflich. |
| Postmaster, JAPH, manchmal Wahrsager               am RZ der RUB |