[Dovecot] imap-login hanging when firewall blocks ssl handshaking

Erik A Johnson johnsone at usc.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:48:04 EET 2012

On 12/1/2012 at 11:07:36am PST, Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:
> I had a go at reproducing this on FreeBSD and failed, but I don't believe we've seen a packet trace yet so I wasn't entirely sure what might provoke it. There is definitely a bug in the OS here somewhere, unless the socket never gets as far as SYN-SYN/ACK-ACK, since ENOTCONN should only be returned *before* the socket has connected successfully. An ordinary disconnected socket should simply return EOF from read, and a socket that got RST should return ECONNRESET.
>
> Are you able to reproduce this and get a tcpdump packet trace (on the dovecot side of any firewalls)?

Attached is the output of "sudo tcpdump -i en0 -vv -A host CLIENT" run on the SERVER.

I know enough about tcpdump to be dangerous; if there is additional output that would be helpful, please let me know what options to use for tcpdump (the OS X tcpdump man page is at http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/tcpdump.1.html).

> Also, when this happens, does it happen straight away or is there a delay until the connection times out?

It happens straight away.

Would it be somewhere at http://opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1082/ ?