[Dovecot] [OT] MS Exchange Alternative?

Rob Sterenborg (lists) lists at sterenborg.info
Tue Dec 4 18:33:38 EET 2012

On 12/04/2012 05:22 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 4.12.2012, at 16.20, Jakob Curdes wrote:
>
>> Am 04.12.2012 15:15, schrieb Marc Perkel:
>>> Just wondering if there's an open source Linux alternative to MS Exchange so that all the features of outlook work?
>> Did you have a look at zarafa? Most part of it is open source; the outlook connector ist closed source however and requires a license fee for more than three clients.
>> It uses MAPI to connect to Outlook, unlike many other solutions that do calendar syncs etc. via the ActiveSync protocol. Zarafa is a completely different thing than dovecot, however; it stores all mails in a MySQL database.
>
> Future versions of Zarafa will hopefully serve IMAP protocol via Dovecot. :)

If they'd do that, it would be great because that's *the* reason I'm not
running Zarafa.

Last time I tried the Zarafa IMAP server, which is some years ago, I was
converting email locally via IMAP, just to see how Zarafa worked and
behaved. The conversion would hang at random times, and it's IMAP server
was so slow compared to Dovecot that I didn't want to use it.