[Dovecot] doveadm fts optimize undocumented

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 4 18:55:42 EET 2012

On 4.12.2012, at 18.46, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> Subject says all.  Timo, would you write something up where the world
> will find it?  Also, it would be great if doveadm fts was covered in the
> doveadm manpage.

It runs the Lucene's optimize function with fts-lucene backend. Does nothing with others. Basically I think it just gathers multiple Lucene index files together and packs them into a single file, dropping all deleted data (Lucene documentation has more details I think). Similar to what "doveadm purge" does to mdbox files. fts-lucene runs the optimize also internally automatically once in a while, so I'm not sure if that doveadm command should necessarily even exist.