[Dovecot] doveadm fts optimize undocumented

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Dec 4 20:24:03 EET 2012

on Tue Dec 04 2012, Timo Sirainen <tss-AT-iki.fi> wrote:

> On 4.12.2012, at 18.59, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> on Tue Dec 04 2012, Timo Sirainen <tss-AT-iki.fi> wrote:

>>> It runs the Lucene's optimize function with fts-lucene backend. Does
>>> nothing with others. Basically I think it just gathers multiple Lucene
>>> index files together and packs them into a single file, dropping all
>>> deleted data (Lucene documentation has more details I think). Similar
>>> to what "doveadm purge" does to mdbox files. fts-lucene runs the
>>> optimize also internally automatically once in a while, so I'm not
>>> sure if that doveadm command should necessarily even exist.
>>
>> I think the answer lies in your perception of benefits vs maintainance
>> (including documentation) costs... ;-)
>
> Based on the awesome explanation I just gave, I wouldn't mind if
> someone converts something based on it to a man page patch!

The lack of a working Git mirror really raises the barrier for me to
contribute.  I was just wondering if you had tried to reinstate it with
a recent version of the hggit plugin?  It appears to be officially under
development at https://bitbucket.org/durin42/hg-git...

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training