[Dovecot] [OT] MS Exchange Alternative?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Tue Dec 4 21:35:31 EET 2012

* Charles Marcus <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On 2012-12-04 9:20 AM, Jakob Curdes <jc at info-systems.de> wrote:
> >Am 04.12.2012 15:15, schrieb Marc Perkel:
> >>Just wondering if there's an open source Linux alternative to MS
> >>Exchange so that all the features of outlook work?
> >Did you have a look at zarafa? Most part of it is open source; the
> >outlook connector ist closed source however and requires a license
> >fee for more than three clients.
> >It uses MAPI to connect to Outlook, unlike many other solutions
> >that do calendar syncs etc. via the ActiveSync protocol. Zarafa is
> >a completely different thing than dovecot, however; it stores all
> >mails in a MySQL database.
>
> So does SOGo, no plugin required for Outlook. There is an extension
> for Thunderbird+Lightning, and it also supports most every mobile
> client out there.... and it uses Dovecot for the IMAP server *now*,
> and also includes OpenChange and Samba4. It is also supposed to be
> *very* lightweight, and can integrate with most any other backend
> you may be using. We currently use PostfixAdmin for managing email
> users, and we'll be able to happily keep using it for as long as we
> want after the migration.

We've used SOGo for the last three years and we deployed it at various
locations - starting from 3 up to 30.000 users. SOGo is stable, the company
behind SOGo knows what they are doing.

If you plan to migrate a SIEVE configuration you need scripting skills or you
will end up adding them all by hand. SOGo currently stores SIEVE rules in its
database and writes them into a .sieve on request. It's a one way road. That
is actually the onle downside I can think of.

> We will be migrating to SOGo (using Thunderbird+Lightning+Google
> Calendar now) very soon, and we are fully expecting to leverage the
> fact that SOGo includes Samba4 in the future, so that when the time
> comes for another Microsoft Server Upgrade, we will instead
> 'upgrade' to Samba4, and demote our older 2008R2 servers to member
> servers - if we keep them around at all.

+1

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG