[Dovecot] log_path - expansion possible?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 5 17:54:34 EET 2012

On 5.12.2012, at 17.41, Robert Blayzor wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Not currently. It would be possible to make it work, but it would require that Dovecot gets SIGHUPed every midnight to get the configuration reloaded. But you could already do that with logrotate, which I think is a better solution anyway.
>

> Why SIGHUP?  If it's an already open file handle you could just compare the string expansion against the currently opened log/FH, and if different open a new FH?

Sure, and it could do that with the other 1000 settings as well. I think I've seen maybe once in last 10 years the same feature request. Not really worth the extra code.

> If not possible perhaps able to pipe logs to an external programs like apache's rotatelogs ?

In theory, yeah, I guess .. I'd probably make it a new setting, like log_executable = /usr/bin/rotatelogs. But I don't really have time to implement this myself right not.