[Dovecot] imap-login - where does the user get filled in from?

Jeff Lacki jeep at rahul.net
Fri Dec 7 00:58:51 EET 2012

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> check the auth-mech configured on the phone and
> which methods your server configuration supports
>
> long before the login the server offers auth methods and
> if the client is configured to a unsupported it closes
> the connection and apple devices are really braindead
> in this context

I have dovecot setup for:

auth_mechanisms = plain login

The iphone offers the following:
- password
- Apple Token
- MD5 Challenge-Response
- NTLM
- HTTP MD5 Digest

Im set for password, which I assumed was plaintext which should match
my plain mechanism.  Im using an AES_DECRYPT in my SQL statement to
get the password however, maybe this is part of my issue:

password_query = SELECT AES_DECRYPT(password, 'xxx') AS password, \
    userid AS user \
	FROM users WHERE userid='%u' AND AES_DECRYPT(password, 'xxx')='%w'

This is the first time Im attempting to use SQL with SSL.

/mf/home/jeep/shell/.signature