[Dovecot] Switch from MySQL/CourierMail to MySQL/Dovecot

Ricardo web at guzman.com.ar
Tue Dec 11 16:32:56 EET 2012

2012/12/11 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:

> On 12/11/2012 08:25 AM, Ricardo wrote:
>>
>> 2012/12/7 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
>>>
>>> Hello, new here.
>>>
>>> I am a Centos/Fedora user, and for the past 3 years have been running my
>>> mail server using Postfix/MySQL/CourierMail/Squirrelmail on Fedora.  The
>>> current incantation of the tutorial is at:
>>>

>>> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.2-x86_64
>>>
>>> Well it is time to rebuild my mailserver; this time on Centos 6.3. My
>>> goal
>>> is to use supplied rpms, not to build my own (and rebuild everytime there
>>> is
>>> an important update).  So I am pulling quotas which has been a pain
>>> anyway,
>>> and I am investigating using Dovecot in place of CourierMail.  In Centos
>>> 6.3, the version of Dovecot is: 2.0.9-2
>>>
>>> I am looking for a tutorial to assist in the setup, as I am nowhere an
>>> expert on any of this (I am a communications security expert in the IETF
>>> and
>>> IEEE 802).  There are a couple items that I have come to depend on in my
>>> current setup that are musts in anything new:
>>>
>>> Virtual user/domain
>>>
>>> That is, not only virtual domains, but also users defined by domain.  So
>>> in
>>> the MySQL user table, the email value is set to user at domain.  Thus a user
>>> can receive/send mail from multiple domains with the same addr and only
>>> those domains defined for the user in the user table.
>>>
>>> Obviously there is no coupling of Linux user accounts and email accounts.
>>> CourierMail is storing mail under /home/vmail/domain/user/...
>>>
>>> Encrypted passwords
>>>
>>> The passwords in the user table in MySQL are encrypted.  This will be
>>> used
>>> to auth the user for POPing or IMAPing and sending their mail.  I have
>>> encountered a few tutorials where it seems like passwords are stored in
>>> the
>>> clear?
>>>
>>> Anyway, not much else!  Well as far as the user interface is concerned.
>>> Postfix with clamav and spamassassin and maybe one or two extras.  And
>>> SquirrelMail for Webmail.  A better gui than phpMyAdmin for maintaining
>>> the
>>> tables would be nice, but I don't have a lot of users, so it works well
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to a tutorial best suited to my needs?
>>>
>>> Also any firewall rules, as I don't want to turn off iptables (and
>>> ip6tables) and any SELinux policy rules to add.
>>>
>>> Oh, and IPv6 will be a must in the near future, so anything needed to
>>> ensure
>>> IPv6 working right as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Hola  a todos
>>
>> disculpen por mi idioma español..
>

> Sorry, I am dyslexic and basically flunked High School Spanish some 45 years
> ago...

> [...]

Hello

My English language can be bad by translate Google know how to apologize.

If you pass as a tutorial but some things will not go well so I had to
change. I lacking of webmail, was thinking do with Rouncube, me quede
alli without installing. I encourage you to improve this tutotial to
it or update it, you decide to contribute with something?

I tried them on Ubuntu server 12.04 x 32 works perfect... I miss the
DNS and MX not is how to configure that part you have any idea how to
configure?

And also install Debian 6.06 ne but the dovecot dovecot-mysql - core
dovecot-pop3d imapd not installed by dependency problems...

If you arrive to run well you can share your settings!

Best regards

Ricardo