[Dovecot] need help with dovecot-lda

Andreas Meyer anmeyer at anup.de
Sat Dec 15 17:56:28 EET 2012

Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> > # su - vmail
> > vmail at delta:~> doveconf -m lda base_dir auth_socket_path
> > base_dir = /usr/var/run/dovecot
> > auth_socket_path = auth-userdb
> >
> > But I don't know how to tell dovecot-lda to listen on sockets
> > in /usr/var/run/dovecot
>
> Do you mean 'connect to'? It's important to be clear.

hm, what does dovecot-lda do? I think it tries to connect to
/usr/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb ?

> The first thing is to see what actually happens when you invoke
> dovecot-lda as vmail. Remember to check the logs as well as the
> mailboxes.

vmail at delta:~> echo "foo" | /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f anmeyer at anup.de -d anmeyer at anup.de

The email with body foo in it is delivered to the mailbox.
Dec 15 16:37:27 lda(anmeyer at anup.de): Info: sieve: msgid=unspecified: stored mail into mailbox 'INBOX'

Sending an email from the desktop results in the same error:

# mailq
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
CB9771B3025F      559 Sat Dec 15 16:39:48  anmeyer at anup.de
                                             (unknown user: "anmeyer at anup.de")
                                         anmeyer at anup.de

I looked at the makefiles in the sources of the installed version
of dovecot and found that dovecot-lda is like everything compiled
with
localstatedir = ${prefix}/var
rundir = ${prefix}/var/run/dovecot
statedir = ${prefix}/var/lib/dovecot
where prefix = /usr

I don't know why dovecot-lda is not connecting? to /usr/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb
and instead uses /var/run/dovecot. I delete /var/run/dovecot meanwhile.

> Ben

Andreas