[Dovecot] need help with dovecot-lda

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sat Dec 15 20:07:17 EET 2012

At  4PM +0100 on 15/12/12 you (Andreas Meyer) wrote:
> Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > > # su - vmail
> > > vmail at delta:~> doveconf -m lda base_dir auth_socket_path
> > > base_dir = /usr/var/run/dovecot
> > > auth_socket_path = auth-userdb
> > >
> > > But I don't know how to tell dovecot-lda to listen on sockets
> > > in /usr/var/run/dovecot
> >
> > Do you mean 'connect to'? It's important to be clear.
>
> hm, what does dovecot-lda do? I think it tries to connect to
> /usr/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb ?

Yes. It doesn't listen on any sockets at all.

> > The first thing is to see what actually happens when you invoke
> > dovecot-lda as vmail. Remember to check the logs as well as the
> > mailboxes.
>
> vmail at delta:~> echo "foo" | /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f
> anmeyer at anup.de -d anmeyer at anup.de
>
> The email with body foo in it is delivered to the mailbox.
> Dec 15 16:37:27 lda(anmeyer at anup.de): Info: sieve: msgid=unspecified:
> stored mail into mailbox 'INBOX'
>
> Sending an email from the desktop results in the same error:
>
> # mailq
> -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
> CB9771B3025F      559 Sat Dec 15 16:39:48  anmeyer at anup.de
>                                              (unknown user: "anmeyer at anup.de")
>                                          anmeyer at anup.de

*Right*. Now we're getting somewhere: it looks like the problem is in
your Postfix configuration.

Create a script something like this

    #!/bin/sh

    echo "--- FROM [$1] TO [$2]" >>/tmp/lda-log
    /usr/bin/id >>/tmp/lda-log
    /usr/bin/env >>/tmp/lda-log
    exec /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f "$1" -d "$2"

(you may need to adjust the paths to id and env; the point is to avoid
relying on $PATH) and change the master.cf entry to invoke

    /path/to/script ${sender} ${recipient}

instead of dovecot-lda. Then deliver some mail and see what, if
anything, gets written to /tmp/lda-log.

Ben