[Dovecot] need help with dovecot-lda

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sun Dec 16 00:55:36 EET 2012

At  9PM +0100 on 15/12/12 Andreas Meyer wrote:
> Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > Before you go any further, please put the virtual_mailbox_maps parameter
> > back with a map of the valid virtual addresses. Otherwise you'll become
> > a backscatter source.
>
> Do you mean the old virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox ?
> But wouldn't that mean I have to care for two user files? vmailbox and
> the passwd-file of dovecot?

It doesn't matter how you do it, but you need to reject invalid users
during the SMTP transaction rather than allowing the mail to bounce
later. (This is really basic stuff: have you read through the Postfix
documentation? It make this pretty clear.)

If you're using a passwd-file userdb in Dovecot, you need to write a
script to convert it to a Postfix map, and make sure that script gets
run whenever the source file is updated. (Makefiles are good for that
sort of thing.) Alternatively, you could switch to keeping your userdb
in an SQL or LDAP database, and have Postfix query it directly. If all
else fails, you can arrange to pass the output of 'doveadm user "*"' to
postmap, though depending on your Dovecot setup you may need to append a
domain.

Ben