[Dovecot] Understanding Sockets

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Dec 21 14:15:02 EET 2012

Hi Tim,

Tim Smith wrote:
> I'm using an Ubuntu Server OS (10.04) and it seems that the latest
> package they provide is 1.2.9.
>
> Do you know if anyone has had any success getting a Dovecot 2
> package on this Ubuntu distro and how they went about it (Not
> comfortable compiling sources at this point!!)?

We downloaded the ubuntu dovecot source package from packages.ubuntu.com
and updated the dovecot tarball to a current 2.x version using the
uupdate tool (comes with ubuntu).

Then we replaced the pigeonhole directory with a current
version from the pigeonhole tarball to fix some crashing
bug regarding managesieve.

With dch -i you can edit the changelog and increase
package version or patchlevel.

Finally build the deb packages with
dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us

Good luck,