[Dovecot] dovecot crashing?

Jim Lawson jtl+dovecot at uvm.edu
Sun Dec 30 16:19:29 EET 2012

On 12/30/12 4:15 AM, Eric wrote:
> Isn't the version I have (2.0.9) newer than 2.0.19? The newest RPM I could find for CentOS was
dovecot-2.0.9-2, not all that much newer than what I am using. I am not
opposed to upgrading, just not sure if I am seeing much in the way of
RPMs for my system that I can use to upgrade to a version that is much
newer than what I already have.

2.0.19 is newer than 2.0.9.  2.1.12 is newer than that.  You may have to
take the spec file and rpmbuild your own RPM, if you want to stick with
RPMs.

> I had taken the " echo 'DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT="unlimited"' >>
/etc/sysconfig/dovecot" command from the Dovecot page on enabling core
dumps for Red Hat (http://www.dovecot.org/bugreport.html). I have also
added unlimited core dump files to /etc/security/limits.conf and
verified that whenever myself or anyone else opens a shell that "ulimit
-c" shows an output of "unlimited".

> I don't see any mention of limits in my Dovecot init file either. The
init script came with my RPM package and I have not modified it.

> Even though I have unlimited core dump files allowed, I am still
getting core files that are 0 bytes in size in the mail user's home
directory. Any idea why?

Check disk space on the filesystem where Dovecot is trying to dump?  Is
there some other reason it can't write there (but can create files) ?

Jim