[Dovecot] When are search indexes updated?

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Dec 4 18:57:41 EET 2012

Here's a further experience report with questions inline:

1. "doveadm index '*'" crashes in clucene (for me), so it must be trying
   to update the FTS indexes, somehow.  Is that (the updating, not the
   crashing) intended behavior, and if so, should it be documented?

2. "doveadm search text SOMETHINGthatWONTbeFOUND" takes a long time and
   finds stuff without crashing, but doesn't seem to create the
   lucene-indexes/ directory in my mdbox, and it takes a long time the
   next time around.  Is "doveadm search" intended to update the FTS
   indexes if they're missing?

3. Performing a search on a large mailbox through IMAP takes a long time
   the first time around, during which "top" shows the big cpu hog is
   /opt/local/libexec/dovecot/indexer-worker, lucene-indexes/ is
   created, and subsequent searches go quickly.  Nice!  Is there a
   reasonably easy way to start such a search on all my mailboxes from
   the command line by using doveadm or the preauth tunnel?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training