[Dovecot] dovecot backend on director ?

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Dec 4 19:33:55 EET 2012

Hello Timo,

The last time I checked my understanding about director was that :

1. backend/"real" imap servers should not be on the same host (or the same dovecot instance) to
   avoid proxying loops.

Is it still the case with the latest 2.1 stable release ? Is there a plan to be
able to run director and real server on the same host, thus requiring only 2
hosts instead of 4 to have load balancing and a redundant director ?

2. director itself was not able or meant to check if one of the real server was
   down (some script was pointed long time ago in this list).

Same questions.

3. you'll have to use dovecot lmtp instead of let's say procmail. Would deliver
   be still a choice or is lmtp the only deliver compatible choice ?

In what case would lmtp be more useful than deliver ? To have some sort of
"remote LDA" ?

By the way, what gets indexed on deposit on the mailbox since, by definition,
the user has not done any request yet ?

Thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur