[Dovecot] namespace subscription problem

Holger Hegmanns hlx at h3c.de
Fri Dec 7 05:17:30 EET 2012

Hi all,

my problem seems to be a cosmetic one (again).

According to the docs:

subscriptions: "yes" (default) if this namespace should handle its own
subscriptions. If "no", then the first parent namespace with
subscriptions=yes will handle it.

Therefore is no way to create the following scenario:

three namespaces (private, shared, public)
the private namespace has to handle its own subscriptions
the private namespace setup with "prefix = INBOX."
the both shared and public namespace setup with "subscriptions = no"

cause there is no so called "parent" namespace. Private namespace setup
with "prefix = " works fine, but that's not what I want.

namespace {
  type = public
  separator = .
  prefix = public.
  location = maildir:/var/spool/dovecot/vmail/public
  subscriptions = no
}
namespace inbox {
  type = private
  separator = .
  prefix = INBOX.
  inbox = yes
}
namespace {
  type = shared
  separator = .
  prefix = user.%%u.
  location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
  subscriptions = no
  list = children
}
Any chance that the private namespace can subscribe to shared mailboxes
with the principals above?
Few hours later. Added a default namespace without any prefix:

namespace {
  prefix =
  separator = .
  hidden = yes
  subscriptions = yes
}

Subscriptions works as expected, but when I telnet to dovecot now the
LSUB command shows all boxes beneath the INBOX as well as without the
prefix:

b lsub "" *
* LSUB () "." "Sent"
* LSUB () "." "Templates"