[Dovecot] Switch from MySQL/CourierMail to MySQL/Dovecot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 7 16:09:42 EET 2012

Hello, new here.

I am a Centos/Fedora user, and for the past 3 years have been running my
mail server using Postfix/MySQL/CourierMail/Squirrelmail on Fedora.  The
current incantation of the tutorial is at:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.2-x86_64

Well it is time to rebuild my mailserver; this time on Centos 6.3. My
goal is to use supplied rpms, not to build my own (and rebuild everytime
there is an important update).  So I am pulling quotas which has been a
pain anyway, and I am investigating using Dovecot in place of
CourierMail.  In Centos 6.3, the version of Dovecot is: 2.0.9-2

I am looking for a tutorial to assist in the setup, as I am nowhere an
expert on any of this (I am a communications security expert in the IETF
and IEEE 802).  There are a couple items that I have come to depend on
in my current setup that are musts in anything new:

Virtual user/domain

That is, not only virtual domains, but also users defined by domain.  So
in the MySQL user table, the email value is set to user at domain.  Thus a
user can receive/send mail from multiple domains with the same addr and
only those domains defined for the user in the user table.

Obviously there is no coupling of Linux user accounts and email
accounts.  CourierMail is storing mail under /home/vmail/domain/user/...

Encrypted passwords

The passwords in the user table in MySQL are encrypted.  This will be
used to auth the user for POPing or IMAPing and sending their mail.  I
have encountered a few tutorials where it seems like passwords are
stored in the clear?

Anyway, not much else!  Well as far as the user interface is concerned.
Postfix with clamav and spamassassin and maybe one or two extras.  And
SquirrelMail for Webmail.  A better gui than phpMyAdmin for maintaining
the tables would be nice, but I don't have a lot of users, so it works
well enough.

Can someone point me to a tutorial best suited to my needs?

Also any firewall rules, as I don't want to turn off iptables (and
ip6tables) and any SELinux policy rules to add.

Oh, and IPv6 will be a must in the near future, so anything needed to
ensure IPv6 working right as well.

Thanks