[Dovecot] Adding a parameter to dovecot's deliver to get a meaningful return value

Cyril RUSSO cyril.russo at nexvision.fr
Mon Dec 17 19:20:48 EET 2012

Hi,

  First, please forgive me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
I'm using Dovecot 2 (2.1.7) for serving my local maildir.
This maildir is filled by an external process, fetching & merging mails from different sources that's outside this scope (but it's working).

Dovecot is thus acting as a MTA, but more as a MDA.
I've a web client running on the server, and it connects to Dovecot to get the mails.
I've configured this web client & dovecot to use sieve to filter the mails. I know that since Dovecot does not actually deliver the messages, it's not the expected behavior.
Anyway, I can use the "deliver" software in your suite for passing sieve's rules on each message in my maildir, and it's almost working.
I've a cron job that run deliver on each message of my maildir, but I'm a bit puzzled now.
Basically, I'm not able to figure out if a message was matched by a sieve filter or not.

I'm a bit disappointed by two things:
1) Sieve's reject doesn't make "deliver" to return an error, so a sieve rule chain ending in "reject" can't be detected from my cron's script.
I wonder it's due to the step deliver is supposed to be run (after a mail is already accepted).

2) "deliver" doesn't have a method to find out if it processed the given mail as input.

Basically, would it be possible to either add a parameter to "deliver" (for example: "--fail-on-discarding") so it would fail if the sieve rules discard or reject (/ereject) the mail ?
That way, I could detect the failure in my script, and know that I don't need to delete the initial mail since it was not filtered.

Or, thought differently, I wonder if "deliver" could open a socket/pipe/file whatever, and write the number of processed mails in there (or using a "--return-processed-mail"), so a sieve rule ending with "delete", would be detectable by my script.

Best regards,
--
Cyril