[Dovecot] Understanding Sockets

Tim Smith tim at titan21.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 00:14:40 EET 2012

Hi,

Just trying to consolidate my knowledge of Dovecot and I want to
understand various things rather than just key out lines of config in
dovecot.conf with the hope of it working.

What I wanted to clarify is my understanding the "socket listen" section
of the config file. From my limited understanding, this section details
how other processes can access the userdb defined in Dovecot. The master
socket is used for "internal" processes which is mainly dovecot-lda so
that when Dovecot receives mail it knows where to deliver it and client
is defined for "external" processes, for example Postfix who would use
the info to determine if a user existed. Would you say this is a fair
(albeit) dumbed down!!) synopsis of sockets and their purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Tim