[Dovecot] Temporary forbid some users login ?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 21:56:53 EET 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:55:44PM +0100, Joseba Torre wrote:
> El 01/02/12 06:55, Frank Bonnet escribió:
> >
> >is there a way to forbid SOME ( not all ) users's login with
> >dovecot 2 ? I need to move their IMAP folders to another place
> >with more disk space but I don't want to stop dovecot IMAP
> >service for the other users as the moving process will be a
> >bit long ( 1 Tb to move )
>
> Take a look to conf.d/auth-deny.conf.ext
>
> You can setup a new passdb (a passwd-file can do it) with deny
> = yes, and add/remove users to that passwd-file as needed.

Heh, funny, three different answers in this thread and AFAICT they
are all correct to some extent.

I think the "passdb { deny=yes }" is the best answer. I implemented
this in SQL using a tri-state "active" column. Standard "active=1"
means the MTA accepts mail and the user can login. "active=0" will
disable both. The third state, "active=-1" has the MTA continuing to
accept mail, but triggers my deny=yes passdb.