[Dovecot] openbsd and dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 9 01:40:19 EET 2012

On 8.2.2012, at 20.56, Maxim wrote:

>>> Feb  3 15:02:37 srv-mx-00 dovecot: auth: Error: bsdauth(rodin.m,127.0.0.1): getpwnam() failed: Operation not permitted
>> service auth {
>>   user = root
>> }
>>
>> Does this make any difference? If it does help, there's a bug somewhere. If it doesn't help, then there's something else weird going on.
>>
> No, it didn't help. Might it be that I need to edit any system files in /etc directory? When I set up dovecot on debian I had to edit /etc/pam.d/dovecot file accordingly to enable kerberos authentication for mail users in Active Directory. Someone suggested that I edit /etc/login.conf file in OpenBSD to enable kerberos for dovecot. But I've no idea of how these edits should look like.

The problem is that auth worker process can't do getpwnam() call. Typically that would read from /etc/passwd, but I don't know if in OpenBSD if you have configured it to read from elsewhere (AD?). Anyway, I don't know why it would give EPERM error since the process is running as root. You could try ktraceing it to see what actually fails.