[Dovecot] Issues with SIS and Backups - was Re: v2.1.0 status

Sun Feb 12 18:15:42 EET 2012

On 2012-02-12 10:58 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 12.2.2012, at 15.43, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>
> I'm planning on creating a new "backup" mail storage backend, where
> you could basically run:
>
> doveadm backup -u user at domain backup:
>
> And it would output the user's messages to stdout (or to some file).
> So it would be similar to e.g. PostgreSQL's pg_dump. Then for
> restoring you can use the same input for "doveadm import". So in the
> backups there would be no deduplication, unless implemented by the
> backup software.

Hmmm, ok thanks... loss of dedupe on the backup server may or may not be
an issue I'll be concerned about, but good to know that there is an
option at least.

>> It looks like using mimedefang would eliminate the problem with
>> backups, and would provide the added benefit of eliminating large
>> file attachments for external recipients as well, however I'm
>> concerned about security - ie, how do you limit access to these
>> attachments to only the recipients of the message with the
>> hyperlink in it?

> As long as the URL is random enough it shouldn't be possible to guess
> the links. But if they're HTML mails and such then hyperlinks would
> send the referrer-url to the next site. I guess you could also add
> HTTP authentication.

Thanks for that too... I'll have to a bit of research on  this, because
the more I think about it, the more I like the idea, *if* it can be done
securely enough...

--

Best regards,

Charles