[Dovecot] log message about client_limit may in fact be due to ulimit

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 15 12:30:14 EET 2012

On 15.2.2012, at 10.51, Christoph Bußenius wrote:

>> Do you see some error message also about "Too many open files",
>
> Ah, now that I grep for it, I see those messages too :)  During one hour, the messages were logged with the following number of occurrences:
>
> - Twice: dovecot: anvil: Error: net_accept() failed: Too many open files
> - Twice: config: Error: net_accept() failed: Too many open files
> - Twice: ipc: Error: net_accept() failed: Too many open files
> - 43 times: master: Warning: service(ipc): client_limit (100000) reached, client connections are being dropped
> - 43 times: master: Warning: service(anvil): client_limit (100000) reached, client connections are being dropped

Oh, right. The error message is wrong. There should be a difference between the client_limit having actually reached, and an error condition (e.g. out of fds) that causes a process to temporarily stop listening for new clients (= setting "available client count" to 0, which makes master think it has used up all of its clients). I'll fix it to v2.1.1.