[Dovecot] Dovecot v2.2 plans

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 15 21:09:18 EET 2012

On 15.2.2012, at 21.02, Mark Moseley wrote:

> Not to beat a dead horse, but the ability to use remote directors
> might be interesting. It'd make moving into a director setup probably
> a bit more easy. Then any server could proxy to the backend servers,
> but without losing the advantage of director-based locality. If a box
> sees one of its own IPs in the director_servers list, then it knows
> it's part of the ring. If it doesn't, then it could contact a randomly
> selected director IP.

It should already be possible to do that, although not automatically based on looking at your own IP.. Anyway, non-director servers could simply have the passdb return proxy=y host=director-servers, where director-servers expands to a round-robin list of director IPs (Dovecot uses the first one).

I guess it would be possible to do this automatically if passdb lookup returns proxy=y but no host (means director isn't enabled), but if director_servers is non-empty one of the IPs would be randomly chosen. A little kludgy though..