[Dovecot] IMAP-proxy or not with sogo webmail and dovecot backend

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 22 21:49:54 EET 2012

On 22.2.2012, at 11.38, Ed W wrote:

>> void postlogout_init(struct module *module) { }
>> void postlogout_deinit(void) {
>>   system("/usr/local/bin/dovecot-postlogout.sh");
>> }
>>
>> Add a few missing #includes and compile and enable for imap/pop3 and that should be it.
>
> Thanks - that's really obvious and quite interesting.  I guess a simple "log" plugin makes sense.
>
> Quick followup question - the logout log file currently logs a bunch of statistics such as mails read/deleted, bytes sent/received.  How might I access these from the _deinit context as above?  Apologies if this is a RTFM question?

You'd have to build separate plugins for POP3 and IMAP, and even then it becomes tricky since there's no simple hook for catching when client gets destroyed.

> Finally, do you see it feasible to offer a "scriptable" plugin interface, eg perhaps using some high performance scripting language such as lua?  Such a plugin might itself be simply a standard plugin..?  The motivation being to offer the ability to create plugins to those who are nervous of using a compiler, and of course to reduce the ability of a badly written plugin to kill dovecot?

I've been thinking about adding a scripting language plugin to Dovecot. Perhaps even using one of the existing generators that are supposed to make this easy for multiple languages, such as SWIG. But this is pretty low priority currently..