[Dovecot] Why is dovecot involved in my smtp process

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 01:32:50 EET 2012

From: "Peter A. Giessel" <pgiessel at mac.com>:

> Not totally true.  Typical cyrus sasl2 implementation used with
> sendmail uses an imap server for smtp authentication.  I recall having
> to tweak the sasl2 configuration on my own sendmail server to talk
> correctly with dovecot.  I don't recall the exact tweaks.

Just to make it clear to the OP, I have a Dovecot/Sendmail/SASL working
just fine (which is independent of dovecot).  I suspect Peter hit the
nail on the head here.  Look at the contents of

 	$SASL_INSTALL/lib/Sendmail.conf

Mine is (only)

 	pwcheck_method:saslauthd

which I think looks up my name service backend via the login and plain
plugins.  I'm a little hazy on how this was set up, but if you are able
to successfully login without dovecot, then it appears you have some
sort of authentication stack that will try IMAP first, then fallback
to your the other method.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>