[Dovecot] POP/IMAP on proxy rip issue

Urban Loesch bind at enas.net
Mon Feb 27 17:52:05 EET 2012

Same here on 2.0.x.
But I think this is because it's only implemented for IMAP.

See e-mail from Timo 2 days ago:

Subject: Proxying improvements in v2.1.2

I just committed a couple of features that will make life easier for some types of proxying setups:

1. IMAP proxying has already for a while supported sending local/remote IP/port to backend server, which can use it for logging and other purposes.
I've now implemented this for POP3 as well, although only the remote IP/port is forwarded, not local IP/port. I implemented this also for LMTP in v2.2
tree, but haven't bothered to backport that change. Both POP3 and LMTP uses XCLIENT command that is compatible to Postfix's (XCLIENT ADDR=1.2.3.4
PORT=110).

2. proxy_maybe=yes + host=host.example.com actually works now. As long as host.example.com DNS lookup returns one IP that belongs to the current
server the proxying is skipped.

3. auth_proxy_self = 1.2.3.4 setting means that if proxy_maybe=yes and host=1.2.3.4 then Dovecot assumes that this is a local login and won't proxy
it, even if 1.2.3.4 isn't the actual local IP. This can be helpful if the host field contains load balancer's IP address instead of the server's. You
can add more than one IP (space separated) and of course everything related to this works just as well with hostnames as with IPs (even when hostname
expands to multiple IPs).

regards
Urban