[Dovecot] Uncompressing dboxes

Lauri Alanko la at iki.fi
Wed Feb 1 17:43:20 EET 2012

Hello.

I have an mdbox directory that has been created with the zlib plugin
active, using bzip2 compression. I would now like to convert these
into uncompressed mdbox format. How do I do this? I have tried
unsetting all zlib-related configuration options, but dsync still
produces compressed mdbox at the other end, too.

I guess I could convert to mbox, and then back to mdbox, but for
certain reasons I'm not very enthusiastic about doing anything
mbox-related with dovecot any more.

(Incidentally, it's a bit funny that when the zlib plugin is enabled,
dsync automatically creates compressed dboxes, and even compressed
maildirs (which is pretty useless), but not compressed mboxes,
although that's where compression would be most beneficial.)

Thanks,

Lauri