[Dovecot] converting from mbox to maildir ?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 1 22:39:58 EET 2012

On 30.1.2012, at 10.37, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> We are planning to convert our mailhub ( freebsd 7.4 ) from mbox
> format to maildir format.

I'd do it one user at a time with dsync, but unfortunately:

> the machine use real users thru openldap ( pam_ldap + nss_ldap )

nss_ldap can't store the mail_location override field needed to distinguish mbox user from maildir user. Maybe you could temporarily switch to some other userdb, which would allow extra fields. Also this requires that you deliver mails using dovecot-lda/lmtp.

> another problem is disk space. The users's email data takes about
> 2 Terabytes of data and I cannot duplicate as I only have 3 Tb on
> the raid array of the server.

With one-user-at-a-time conversion this wouldn't be an issue.