[Dovecot] Inherited ACLs for mailboxes created by not-owner

Michael Stilkerich ms at mike2k.de
Fri Feb 10 14:13:17 EET 2012

Hi,

 I have shared one of my mailboxes to another user providing him full rights to
that mailbox.

$ doveadm acl get -u user1 doc
ID           Global Rights
user=user2    admin create delete expunge insert lookup post read write write-deleted write-seen

When that user creates a new mailbox within the shared mailbox, the mailbox is successfully
created but with an empty ACL.

$ doveadm acl get -u user1 doc/hallo
ID           Global Rights

According to the wiki, it should inherit the ACL from its parent, i.e. have
full permissions for user2.

Dovecot logs the following errors when I access the parent folder the first time
after the other user created the child mailbox:

dovecot: imap(user1): Error: Mailbox doc/hallo: Corrupted index, uidvalidity=0
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: Recent flags state corrupted for mailbox INBOX
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: /home/dovecot/user1/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index reset, view is now inconsistent
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: Recent flags state corrupted for mailbox Sent
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: /home/dovecot/user1/mailboxes/Sent/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index reset, view is now inconsistent
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: /home/dovecot/user1/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index reset, view is now inconsistent

This is on dovecot 2.1rc5.

-Michael