[Dovecot] Master user

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 28 17:37:22 EET 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 16:11 +0000, Emiliano Rago wrote:

> I'd like to have a master user that can read the other users mailboxes.
> I have only one user who read and write the mail (i.e. I use the static
> userdb) and I use namespace for public and shared mailboxes.
> I can authenticate to the server but I am not able to list the mailboxes:

With ACL plugin enabled, the master user's ACLs are used. And your
master user has no ACLs, so nothing is shown. The proper fix for this
would be to set a default ACL for the master user, but default ACLs
don't exist yet. So you'll have to kludge this, by changing the master
user back to the login username. Try if this works:

userdb {
  args = uid=mailreader gid=mailreader allow_all_users=yes master_user=%u
  driver = static
}

Also don't set your home to /. Better not to set it at all.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home