[Dovecot] POP3 problems

sottilette at rfx.it sottilette at rfx.it
Wed Jan 4 20:11:47 EET 2012

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> Migrated a 1.0.2 server to 2.0.16 (same old box).
>> IMAP seems working Ok.
>> POP3 give problems with some clients (Outlook 2010 and Thunderbird reported).
>> Seems authentication problem
>> Below my doveconf -n (debug enbled, but no answer found to the problems)
>
> What do the logs say when a client logs in? The debug logs should tell
> everything.

Yes, but my problem is that this is a production server with a really fast
increasing log, so (in my limited skill of dovecot), I have some
difficult to select interesting rows from it (I hoped this period was less
busy, but my customers don't have the same idea ... ;-) )
Thanks for hints in selecting interesting rows.

>> doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
>
> You should do this and replace your old dovecot.conf with the new generated one.
>
>> userdb {
>>  driver = passwd
>> }
>> userdb {
>>  driver = passwd
>> }
>
> Also remove the duplicated userdb passwd.

This was an experimental configs manually derived from old 1.0.2 (mix of
old working and new).

If I replace it with a new config (below), authentication seems Ok, but
fetch of mail from client is very slow (compared with old 1.0.2).

Thanks for your very fast support ;-)

P.

# doveconf -n
# 2.0.16: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp i686 CentOS release 4.9 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
info_log_path = /var/log/mail/dovecot.info.log
log_path = /var/log/mail/dovecot.log
mail_full_filesystem_access = yes
mail_location = mbox:~/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mbox_read_locks = dotlock fcntl
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
protocols = imap pop3
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
protocol pop3 {