[Dovecot] failed: Too many levels of symbolic links

David Egbert david at paperclipsystems.com
Fri Jan 6 23:41:04 EET 2012

On 1/6/2012 2:16 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 6.1.2012, at 22.44, David Egbert wrote:
>
>> dovecot: imap(XXXXX at XXXXX.com): Error: readdir(/XXXX/XXXX/XXXXXXXXX/XXXXX/XXXXXXX/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/XXX) failed: Too many levels of symbolic links
> You have a symlink loop. Either a symlink that points to itself or one of the parent directories.

I thought that might have been the case, but I checked and there are no
symlinks in that directory, or any of the directories above it in the
path.  All of the directories and files were created by dovecot.  I
didn't notice this in the logs until recently.  The files are stored on
an NFS Raid if that makes any difference.

---
David Egbert