[Dovecot] failed: Too many levels of symbolic links

David Egbert david at paperclipsystems.com
Mon Jan 9 21:15:36 EET 2012

On 1/6/2012 3:30 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 7.1.2012, at 0.10, David Egbert wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, readdir() is failing with ELOOP. Does it always fail with "Too many levels of symbolic links" or is it sometimes different? This sounds like a bug in Linux NFS client code. You can reproduce this always with this one user's Maildir? Can you do "ls" in the directory?
>>>
>> Sorry about the X's...  it is a client directory.  We support many domains and their privacy is paramount.   You are correct it is in the /cur directory.  I can LS all of directories without problems.  This user has 10+Gb in his mail box spread across 352 subscribed folders.  As for the logs it is always the directory, always the same error.
> Try the attached test program. Run it as: ./readdir /path/to/Maildir/cur
>
> Does it also give non-zero error?

I ran it, and it returned: readdir() errno = 0
The user backed up their data and then removed the folder from the
server.  The error is now gone so I am assuming there was some corrupt
file in the directory.  Thanks for all of the help.

David Egbert
Paperclip Systems, LLC

---
This message, its contents, and attachments are confidential and are only authorized for the intended recipient.  Disclosure, re-distribution, or use of said information is strictly prohibited, and may be excluded from disclosure by applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, or their intermediary, please notify the sender and delete this message.