[Dovecot] MySQL server has gone away

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jan 13 04:51:29 EET 2012

On 1/12/2012 6:00 PM, Mark Moseley wrote:

> Jan 12 20:30:33 auth-worker: Error: mysql: Query failed, retrying:
> MySQL server has gone away

I've actually been meaning to send a similar message for the last couple
of months :).

We run dovecot solely as a sasl authentication provider to postfix for
smtp authentication. We're currently running 2.0.15 with a handful of
patches from a few months ago when Timo fixed mysql failover.

We also see sporadic messages like that in the logs:

Jan 11 01:00:57 sparky dovecot: auth-worker: Error: mysql: Query failed,
retrying: MySQL server has gone away

We do have a timeout on the mysql servers, so I don't necessarily mind
this message, except we also see some number of these:

Jan 11 01:00:57 sparky dovecot: auth-worker: Error:
sql(clgeurts,108.38.64.98): Password query failed: MySQL server has gone
away

The mysql servers have never been down or unresponsive, if it retries,
it should succeed. I'm not sure what's happening here, perhaps it tries
the query on one mysql server connection (we have two configured) which
has timed out, and then tries the other one, and if the other one has
also timed out just fails?

I also see some auth timeouts:

Jan 11 22:06:02 sparky dovecot: auth: CRAM-MD5(?,200.37.175.14): Request
10232.28 timeouted after 150 secs, state=2

I'm not sure if they're related to the mysql timeouts.

There are also some postfix auth errors:

Jan 11 23:55:41 sparky postfix/smtpd[20994]: warning:
unknown[200.37.175.14]: SASL CRAM-MD5 authentication failed: Connection
lost to authentication server

Which I think happen when dovecot takes too long to respond.

I haven't had time to dig into it or get any debugging info, but just
thought I'd pipe up when I saw your similar question :).

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768