[Dovecot] Need help with details for new Dovecot plugin - was: Re: (no subject)

Fri Jan 13 13:41:51 EET 2012

On 2012-01-12 6:17 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 11.1.2012, at 20.53, Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:
>> So now the hard part is writing the piece that I can't just crib from
>> elsewhere -- making sure that I hook every place in Dovecot that the
>> user's voicemail folder can be changed in a way that would change it
>> between having one or more unread messages, and not having any unread
>> messages at all (or vice-versa, of course).  At the same time, I want to
>> minimize the performance impact to Dovecot (and the load on the UDP
>> server) by only hooking the places I need to, filtering out as many
>> false positives as I can without introducing massive complexity, and
>> only pinging the UDP server when it's most likely to notice a change in
>> the state of that user's voicemail server.

> I think notify plugin would help you do this the easiest way. See
> mail_log plugin for an example of how to use it.

Oops, should have read all messages before replying (I usually skip
messages with (no subject), but I try to read everything on some lists
(dovecot is one of them)...

Timo - searching on 'inotify' or 'notify' on both wiki1 and wiki2 has
'no results'... maybe the search indexes need to be updated? Or, is it
just that there really is no documentation of inotify on either of the
wikis?

--

Best regards,

Charles