[Dovecot] shared folder files not displaying in thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 19 21:25:38 EET 2012

On 18.1.2012, at 16.20, Eric Broch wrote:

> I have dovecot installed with the configuration below.
> One of the subfolders created (using the email client) under the
> '/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com/shared/projects' share no longer
> (it used to) displays the files located in it. There are about 150
> folders under the '/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com/shared/projects'
> share all of which display the files located in them, the one mentioned
> used to display the contents but no longer does.
>
> What would be the reason that one folder would no longer display
> existing files in the email client (Thunderbird) and the other folders
> would? And, how do I fix this?

So the folder itself exists, but it just appears empty? Have you tried with another IMAP client? Have you checked if the files are actually still there in the maildir? You can check if this is a server problem or a client problem by running:

doveadm fetch -u user at domain uid mailbox project.missing.sub.folder all

If the output is empty, then Dovecot doesn't see any mails in there (check if there are any files in the maildir). If it outputs something, then the client's local cache is broken and you need to tell the client to do a resync.

> Would it now be simply a matter of unsubscribing the folder, deleting
> the dovecot files, and resubscribing to the folder?

Subscriptions won't matter. Deleting Dovecot's files may emulate the client's cache flush because it changes IMAP UIDVALIDITY.